Warm your home without setting it on fire
SAN ANTONIO (Oct. 15, 2018) – Temperatures are falling and home heaters will be coming on once again. Heating equipment is one of the leading causes of home fire deaths.
SAFD (San Antonio Fire Department) reminds you that with a few simple safety tips and precautions you can prevent most heating fires from happening.
· Test smoke alarms at least once a
· Install and maintain CO (carbon
monoxide) alarms to avoid the risk of
· Keep anything that can burn at least three-feet away from heating equipment,
like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
· Have a three-foot “kid-safe zone” around open fires and space heaters.
· Never use your oven to heat your home.
· Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a
· Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
· Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the
room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the
container a safe distance away from your home.