OLD MAN WINTER NOT GONE YET

March 6, 2019

OLD MAN WINTER NOT GONE YET, SAVE MONEY AND STAY SAFE WHEN HEATING YOUR HOME

 

 

Near or below freezing temperatures arrived to CPS Energy’s service territory early Monday and Tuesday morning. The utility reminds customers to keep energy savings safety top of mind when heating their homes. CPS Energy says customer safety is very important and does not recommend using a natural gas stove for heating.

 

Tips for saving energy during cold weather include:

  • Setting your thermostat between 68 and 70 degrees during the day and 65 degrees overnight.

  • Reducing air leaks and preventing unnecessary air infiltration through doors and windows.

  • Using ceiling fans or portable fans to circulate air. Make sure ceiling fans are running in a counter-clockwise direction during the winter. Don’t forget to turn off fans when you leave the room.

CPS Energy recommends the following safety tips around natural gas:

  • If you smell a strong odor of natural gas - get out of the house immediately. Don't turn any electrical switches on or off or use any electronics, including flashlights and telephones. An electric spark from any electric or battery-powered device, or even static electricity, could ignite a gas leak and cause an explosion. Call (210) 353-4357 (HELP) from a neighbor's house as soon as possible. Never try to locate the source of a gas leak yourself.

 

  • Do not use your oven to heat your home - using the oven or range to heat your home can produce dangerous carbon monoxide gas. Carbon monoxide is referred to as the silent killer because you can't hear, see or smell the fumes. Using the stove as a heating source also can damage the appliance.

 

  • Carbon Monoxide is a poisonous gas – symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, fatigue, nausea, and heart palpitations. Victims should be moved to fresh air immediately and given medical attention as soon as possible. In the event of a carbon monoxide buildup, open doors and windows to ventilate the house, then leave as quickly as possible. Be sure to test your carbon monoxide detectors regularly, they can alert you to the deadly gas early

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Our Clients

Web Design by JTARA

 2019 Publishing Company

© 2023 by "This Just In". Proudly created with Wix.com