In January, University Health System officially opened the much-anticipated Dr. Robert L.M. Hilliard Center, with the goal of improving the health of those living and working in neighborhoods east of downtown.
The $8 million, 12,500-square-foot health center was built on a two-acre site provided by the San Antonio Housing Authority, at 919 Locke St. The state-of-the-art health center offers primary care, women’s and children’s services, and more.
“We built the Dr. Robert L.M. Hilliard Center to be a prototype for future University Health System healthcare centers, and we think it will offer a level of care to this community that it deserves,” said George B. Hernández Jr., president and CEO of University Health System.
The Bexar County Hospital District Board of Managers, with encouragement from Bexar County Commissioners Court, approved the new clinic for the East Side of San Antonio in 2014. Area residents and community leaders had pushed for a first-rate healthcare center to be built in the area, given an absence of convenient, nearby health services.
Both child and adult immunizations are offered at low or no cost through the Texas Vaccines for Children Program and the Adult Safety Net Program, which provides low-cost vaccines to qualified uninsured adults.
Among the many technological advances incorporated in the Hilliard Center are wall-mounted electronic interactive anatomy boards, located in every exam room. The boards are a teaching tool that providers can use to answer questions or help patients understand a diagnosis or health risk.
Dr. Hilliard was a pioneering obstetrician-gynecologist who died in 2014. Over his distinguished career he delivered more than 14,000 babies. Fittingly, he had significant ties to both University Health System and SAHA during his career. He was the first African-American physician to receive specialty training at the Robert B. Green Memorial Hospital. And he was a past chair of the San Antonio Housing Authority.
The Hilliard Center is the first University Health System facility named in honor of a person since its founding hospital opened downtown as the Robert B. Green Memorial Hospital in 1917, and the Green’s outpatient clinic was named for philanthropist Lady Brady in 1978.
Construction of the new family health center was funded by the Texas 1115 Medicaid Waiver. The Housing Authority, led at the time by Lourdes Castro Ramirez — who today is president of the University Health System Foundation — agreed to provide land for the facility.