Sam Houston Students are already filling up the calendar this year, especially JROTC
School started about 2 months ago and the Sam high school Army JROTC have been busy! The calendar is booked and waiting for the community to come out and support. Take a look at our wonderful Sam students representing all around at the different events below. Be sure to clip out the JROTC Calendar and show up to support our Sam students!
Photo by SAISD.net
Sam Houston Army JROTC has been busy already this year. Participating in all of the Varsity Football games, five Color Guard Ceremonies, Blood Drive, MIA/POW veteran's ceremony, Community Food Drive, and two Drill Competitions.
OCTOBER 2018 JROTC CALENDAR
* Armed Drill Team: This team teaches cadets to march, spin rifles, and have fun. This team is for males and females.
* Unarmed Drill Team: Cadets learn to march, and routines with beats using their hands. It sounds complicated, but if you put in time, and effort, you can learn the routines well. On this drill team you do not have rifles. This team is for females and males.
* Color Guard: The color guard consists of two cadets with flags, and two cadets with rifles. The color guard team can be seen presenting the flags at the beginning of our football games. You will learn patience and precise movements if you decide to join this team.
* Physical Fitness Team (PT): This team practically explains itself. Cadets increase their physical endurance and stamina through strength training, and aerobic workouts.
* Raider Challenge: Is an athletic event that tests cadets endurance and teamwork abilities through five events; to include building & crossing a rope bridge, several obstacle courses, a cross-country rescue event and a 5k run.
* Orienteering: This is a navigational race that is held in unfamiliar terrain where you use a map and a compass to locate points worth different point values.
* Saber Guard: This is a coed team where students will perform with sabers (swords) at many events such as graduation, homecoming, and military ball.
* Academic: Students will compete by demonstrating their knowledge on topics such as; current events, SAT/ACT preparation, basic leader education training based on the JROTC curriculum.
* CyberPatriot: The National Youth Cyber Education Program created by the Air Force Association to inspire students towards careers in cyber-security or other STEM disciplines
The community will be out to see our Sam Army JROTC Students and support the mission, shout out to all SAM ARMY JROTC! Keep it pushing!